Tony is a co-founder of the Cultural Engine Research Group (CERG) and Club Critical Theory – See full list of events and information on CERG on the CERG blog.
CERG projects aim to apply critical theory, radical ideas and empowering concepts to problems affecting local communities in East London and South Essex
Internally Funded CERG Projects (Civic/Community Engagement)
- Project Lead on first Resorting to the Coast Conference (awarded £4,000 plus £8,000 from Essex CC HLF)
- Project Lead on Silvertown Sessions: Supporting the Communication Needs of the Local Community (awarded £750). Two events/workshops: Community Wealth Building and Youth Safety
- Project lead on second Resorting to the Coast Conference (awarded £1,750)
Research Internship Fund
- Project Lead on UX research project for Essex County Council’s HLF Resorting to the Coast (awarded £2,000)
- Project Lead on Digital Food Cultures Focus Groups (awarded £2,000)
- Project Lead on EmotionUX Lab Website Project (awarded £2,000)
- Project Lead on Essex Futures Conference – a 2 Day Conference at the Civic Centre, Southend-on-Sea, Essex (awarded £2,500)
- Co-organizer and project lead of the funded Cultural Engine/Essex County Council/UEL conferences Resorting to the Coast: Valuing the Past to Shape the Future, 27th April 2018 at the Columbine Centre, Princes Esplanade, Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex. LINKS: http://www.essex.gov.uk/News/Pages/360000-National-Lottery-funding-boost-to-take-us-back-to-the-roots-of-the-Tendring-seaside.aspx
- Second funded Cultural Engine/Essex County Council/UEL Resorting to the Coast conference
- Co-organiser and project lead of the funded Essex Futures Conference at Southend Civic Centre (Borough Council), Southend, Essex 15-16th Sept, 2016. LINKS: https://www.uel.ac.uk/undergraduate/open-days/events/2016/9/essex-future-conference, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL5d_p_xrsg
In addition to his work with CERG Tony also hosts the Affect and Social Media international conferences in East London
4x Affect and Social Media Interdisciplinary and International UEL Conferences/Symposia: LINKS https://rowman.com/ISBN/9781786604392/Affect-and-Social-Media-Emotion-Mediation-Anxiety-and-Contagion)
- A&SM#4 – University of East London, 7th Nov 2018: LINKS https://viralcontagion.blog/affect-social-media4/, https://www.uel.ac.uk/news/2018/11/a-and-sm-conference With speakers from US, Canada, Israel, Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Austria and UK.
- A&SM#3 University of East London, 25th May 2017: LINKS https://www.uel.ac.uk/Events/2017/05/Affect-and-Social-Media-3
- A&SM#2 University of East London, 23rd March 2016: LINKS https://www.uel.ac.uk/news/2016/03/affect-and-social-media
- A&SM#1 University of East London, 27th Feb, 2015
External and Collaborative Funding Projects applied for
- Proposed Project Partner (with ActiViM) on collaborative application submitted to Europe for Citizens “Understanding the European Past of Fascism Cultures: Actions towards a Virtual Museum.” (10,000Euro).
- Proposed Project Lead on CERC/DSWG/UEL “Creative Digital: Southend” project – bid to “Make Happen” (HEFCE and Essex University), (£95, 000).
- Proposed partner on collaborative application submitted to the 4th HERA Joint Research Programme “Public Spaces: Culture and Integration in Europe.” (160, 000Euro of 1 millionEuro).
- Proposed PI for Virality/Journalism project made to AHRC (£500k).
- Proposed Project Partner for Digital Piracy projectbid made to British Academy (£10k).